Sunday, July 10, 2016

baguio eats

My husband's family loves to eat out. That's why on vacations, they usually know good places to eat. Here are some of the places we ate at during our short stay in Baguio.

Bistro by Hill Station
Our first dinner in Baguio. We've eaten here before, and as per previous experiences, arrived earlier than the dinner time crowd since the place gets full easily. No photos, as I am a (somewhat) new blogger and often forget to take a picture of food. I ordered the Herb Roasted Chicken with mountain rice, and the Panda ordered the Pork something. Both our dishes came with a salad served with bagoong, and as neither of us like bagoong, our salads went untouched. Except I ate some of the tomatoes and leaves that didn't have bagoong on them.

Wood Nymph
According to the Panda, this restaurant has been in Baguio for a looooong time. I only started eating Korean food when I traveled with the Panda and his family. It took maybe two or three times before I really liked it. My family is an Italian-Filipino-Spanish cuisine type of family. Some Chinese and Japanese and American, but mostly pizza, pasta, and fine Filipino food.

Back to Wood Nymph. We ordered the Samgyupsal (spelling?) and Beef Spareribs that we grilled at our table. Actually, Kuya Server did. We grilled the last remaining pieces. It was yummy, and it came with mountain rice and those Korean side dishes. I think you're supposed to eat the meats with the fresh lettuce they bring to the table, but being the healthy vegetarians that we are (see the fate of our Hill Station salads above), we scarfed down the meats and ignored the greens.

I believe Korean restaurants now are serving what they call bingsu, or "snowed" milk with fruits. We got the strawberry one, being in Baguio and all, and I prayed to the Lord that I won't die from hypothermia. If it wasn't a new item on the menu, I would have preferred hot chocolate.



The dessert was a very pleasant surprise! I generally like milk, and the texture of the bingsu was so unusual and interesting. The strawberries could have been sweeter, but I really liked the milk snow.

The milk "snow" was icy yet light, like snowflakes

Will be ordering this again, preferably here in Manila where a cool dessert like bingsu will be extra yummy on a hot day.

Green Pepper
We had planned on eating at Canto at the Ketchup Food Community near Wright Park, to see what the fuss and long line was about. But there was still a line when we got there, so we decided to eat at Green Pepper instead. We had wild mushroom soup.

And also this dish. I think this was....barbecued pork? I need more practice blogging.
I really liked what we ordered. I had wanted some of their moist chocolate cake, advertised outside their place (and partly why I wanted to eat there), but unfortunately they were out of slices.


So we had coffee instead.
Lemon & Olives
Another new kid on the block, we tried to have lunch here on our third day, but they were full. So we went at dinnertime instead. It was a Sunday evening, so most Manila-based weekenders already went home. They do not accept reservations during the weekend, so I would suggest getting there early. We arrived just before sunset and snagged a table outside with a great view.

Alapaap...Gusto niyo bang sumama?
Lemon & Olives is a Greek restaurant, and their menu sounded Greek to us, so we relied on the server's recommendation for what to order. This time, I made notes of what we ate. Actually I just took a photo of their menu. Once you read about it, you'll understand why I would NEVER be able to remember what we ordered.
Poikilia (Greek appetizers) with Greek village sausage, spicy soutzouki sausage, saganaki cheese, tzatziki dip, and pita bread.
Souvlaki plate: Grilled meat with the Chef's secret Greek sauce, served with pita bread and fries, and accompanied with garlic, chili, and tzatziki dips. We ordered the Lamb, Chicken, and Beef mixed plate. (Or was it Lamb, Chicken, and Pork?)

I'm not usually a fan of Greek food, but this one was actually very good. Panda ordered rice so I practically ate all the pita bread pieces by myself. At the end of the meal there were only a couple of pieces left, and as we were heading back to the hotel I regretted not finishing them off.

Since there's only so many meals in a day, we didn't get to sample every restaurant we would have wanted to try. But thanks to the TPLEX, Baguio is getting nearer and nearer to Manila, and there would be plenty of chances next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment